Clean Cheating: Nachos
Well, it’s football season y’all (see me practicing my Oklahoma accent there?!). I had such a great time last night going to the high school and seeing Tyler’s nephew play under the lights. There’s something about crisp air (I guess it was 80 degrees, but still), a football game, and maybe a chunky knit sweater with leggings that just really gets me to another level of happiness.
With football season comes a lot of temptation to let eating/drinking get out of control. One beer leads to six, which leads to chips and dip, which leads to pizza, which leads to milkshakes. At least this is how it typically goes for me. Maybe you’re a better person than I (probably).
I wanted to start a new series called “clean cheating.” I’ll be featuring different things you can whip up when that devil on your shoulder tells you that you need gluten/sugar/emotional comfort. These recipes will satisfy that urge, without making a complete compromise when it comes to your health.
These nachos are a quick fix when you are dying for something delicious and slightly naughty to eat. They use mostly clean ingredients by making a few simple swaps – sweet potato chips in place of tortilla chips, eliminating the refried beans, and keeping the dairy light (or killing the dairy all together if you want to stay more strict!). This recipe only takes 10-15 minutes to throw together.
I recommend eating them straight off of the baking sheet in front of the TV. But again, you may be a more civilized person than I.
CLEAN CHEAT: NACHOS
- 2 bags of sweet potato chips, I like Terra brand
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 T chili powder
- 1 t cumin
- 1 c raw cheddar cheese (optional)
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1/2 head romaine lettuce, chopped
- 2 diced jalapeños
- Handful of chopped cilantro
- Sour cream, salsa, guacamole, hot sauce to top! (I used an amazing fresh mango salsa from Whole Foods)
- Brown the meat in a saute pan with a bit of fat, and add the chili powder and cumin.
- While the meat is browning, empty a bag of sweet potato chips (I like the Terra brand) on a baking sheet and spread them out as evenly as you can. Toast at 350°F for about 8 minutes.
- Assemble by topping the chips with the ground meat, cheese, lettuce, green onions, salsa, hot sauce, and guacamole.
- Feel free to get creative and add different toppings!! Chopped bacon, chorizo, artichoke hearts, whatever your heart desires!!