Simple Green Juice
I enjoy heading to my local juice bar for a $9 green juice just as much as the next person. It’s nice!! They do it for you, you don’t have to deal with anything, it tastes nice, etc. You also walk away $9 poorer every time, AND you don’t know exactly what quantities of each veggie they put in. For example, if you order a “kale, celery & apple juice” I can nearly guarantee that they are giving you 2 apples and 18 sticks of celery and maybe 1 kale leaf.
Easy solution. Make your own.
This green juice is my favorite and I make it several times every week. It is a great way to sneak in extra veggies if you aren’t great about getting all of your dark leafy greens in daily. I use a Vitamix, so I get a really nice juice-like quality without having to use a juicer. Using a juicer is great, but you miss out on the fiber from the pulp of all the foods. Another way to get a good juice factor is to add more water to thin it out to your liking.
I *almost* never go to my $9 place now 🙂
AVH’s Green Juice
- 4 large kale leaves (take the stems off)
- Large handful of uncooked spinach
- 1/3 of a cucumber
- 1/2 of a green apple (if you need your smoothie a bit sweeter, use a whole apple)
- 1 inch thick slice of fresh ginger
- 1/2 of a fresh lemon (depending on how lemony you like it…I love lemon)
- 2-3 sprigs of fresh mint (also helps break up the “green” taste)
- 1 cup of water (more = juicier consistency, less = smoothie-r consistency) – my secret weapon here is to use flavored, SPARKLING water. It adds a pop of bubbly to the juice that is my favorite thing. Regular water works too but you’re a boring person if you go that route. Your business.
Directions: Add all ingredients to a blender. Blend. Enjoy!!!