As we have all figured out, I love to make fresh, clean, healthy recipes – but I also love for my food to taste great. When you’re starting to clean up your diet, it’s normal to crave and miss certain comfort foods.
For me, this means pizza.
Luckily, I’ve perfected a paleo-friendly (gluten, sugar, dairy free) pizza crust. This pizza crust can be a bit sticky and frustrating when you first start mixing it with your hands, but it quickly turns into a malleable dough. Granted, this pizza is best eaten with a fork and knife rather than lifting it up for each slice. But that just means you can pile even more food on your fork 🙂
Once you’ve got the crust down, making a pizza allows for a lot of creativity! I have made this crust with several different toppings….a meat pizza with pepperoni, bacon & sausage on top…a basil pesto chicken pizza…the list goest on.
For some reason, this week I was in the mood for a Hawaiian pizza – which is strange since I don’t know that I’ve ever ordered one in a restaurant. But I went with it….and the results were AMAZING!!
Paleo Hawaiian Pizza
- 2.5T of fresh chopped rosemary (you can use 2tsp dried, but I don’t think it is nearly as good)
- 1.5 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 3T olive oil
- 2 cups almond meal (also called almond flour)
- 2 eggs
- Organic marinara sauce (no sugar added)
- Roasted red peppers (I used some from a jar)
- Freshly chopped pineapple
- Thinly sliced deli ham (I used a maple ham from Whole Foods)
- Sliced jalepenos
- 1/2 sweet onion, sliced into half moons
- Mozzarella cheese
- *I also added some goat cheese to half of mine, but I didn’t love it
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Add all crust ingredients to a mixing bowl and mix well (I like to use my hands for this).
- Take a cookie sheet and grease it lightly with coconut oil. Next, press the dough into a circle or oval shape. Bake just the crust for 20 minutes, until golden brown.
- Pull the pizza out and layer your toppings on. Bake for another 15-20 minutes. Lastly, finish it off with 1-2 minutes under the broiler setting, so the cheese gets nice and bubbly and browned!
Slice, serve, and die of happiness.