Chipotle Chicken Slaw
Dare I say it — this recipe is great for the 4th of July. I know, I know. I’ve been a little overboard. Just close your eyes…because I still have 2 more holiday-themed posts coming your way!
I wanted to call this recipe “Chunky Chipotle Chicken Slaw” because I like alliterations, but the word “chunky” is kind of gross to me. So just Chipotle Chicken Slaw it is.
During the summer, sometimes it’s a little much to preheat your oven to 1 million degrees to bake something – so I like to have a few alternatives that are cool and crunchy for those hot summer nights.
This slaw only takes a few minutes to throw together, and even more importantly, it actually gets better the next couple of days as all of the flavors really marry together in the fridge. PERFECT for leftovers. I just love the flavors in this slaw, and by adding the chicken, it easily passes for a complete meal.
CHIPOTLE CHICKEN SLAW
- 1 head green cabbage (medium sized)
- Handful of cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo, chopped (ONE pepper, not one whole can)
- 1T adobo sauce from the chipotle pepper in adobos can (you could do 2T if you like heat)
- 1T honey
- 1T apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup mayo – I use JustMayo brand, but you could make your own with this recipe or this recipe
- 3 chicken breasts, grilled & chopped
- Grill up your chicken breasts (or any cooking method), and set aside to cool.
- Grab a large mixing bowl or tupperware. Combine your lime juice, honey, apple cider vinegar, mayo, cilantro, chipotle pepper & adobo sauce.
- Thinly slice your cabbage, and add it handful by handful to your mixture, coating well (using your hands works best)!
- Chop up your chicken breasts and add them to your cabbage mixture – combine well.
- Garnish with some additional cilantro, and add a bit of salt & pepper!