Sweet Potato Fries
I’ve cooked for plenty of people over the years, and posted probably hundreds of photos on social media of dishes that I’ve made. One of the things that people ALWAYS approach me about is how to make great, delicious, sweet potato fries.
Sweet potatoes are a brilliant resource of healthy carbs. I cook sweet potato fries nearly every night (typically using 1/4-1/2 sweet potato per night for myself). They’re fast and easy to make, and just the perfect accompaniment to any dish.
One tip for sweet potato fries: I always use Japanese yams, as I have discovered they crisp up best. Regular garnet yams/sweet potatoes of course work fine, I’ve just found that the Japanese yam gets the best “fry texture.” Using avocado oil instead of olive oil also helps them to crisp up, but I only do this sparingly as avocado oil runs pretty pricey and I make 5-6 batches of SPF every week.
These also feel deliciously like a cheat food, even though they are totally clean! Those are my favorite kind of foods.
You may get annoyed at the simplicity of this recipe. I stopped measuring things long ago, so I can only estimate for you. I also don’t like dirtying extra dishes (like mixing bowls) because I have no dishwasher, so if you are in this same boat…you are welcome. Don’t you get annoyed at me for making things ridiculously easy.
SWEET POTATO FRIES
1 sweet potato (this should make enough fries for 2 people)
Smoked Paprika (regular paprika suffices)
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Slice up your sweet potato. I gave up trying to make perfect fry shapes long ago, but you can knock yourself out. Just make sure that you are slicing at approximately the same thickness, so that they all cook evenly. The thinner you slice, the more your fries will crisp up nicely.
3. Place your sweet potato slices into a pile on a parchment paper lined baking sheet (great for easy clean up). Pour about 2 tablespoons of olive oil over the top of the pile.
4. Shake your spices over the top. This is where I don’t have an exact science any more. I would say 2-3 big shakes of the seasoned salt, smoked paprika & chili powder, and 1-2 shakes of the cinnamon & black pepper. Do it to your taste!
5. Right on the baking sheet, mix the sweet potato slices, olive oil & spices up with your hands. Once evenly coated, space the sweet potato fries out.
6. Bake for 10-15 minutes at 425, or until your desired level of crispiness.